Mr. Kashish Aneja
Mr. Kashish Aneja
A practicing lawyer in New Delhi and International Legal Consultant, specializing in Global Health and Privacy Law.
- Mobile Number: +91 8860884184
Office Address: A-1/100, Sector 8, Rohini, Delhi, India 110085
Kashish Aneja, LL.M., B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) is a practicing advocate at New Delhi and an international legal consultant. He has advised governments, international organizations, and the private sector on national and international litigations, regulatory, and policy issues. Kashish has previously worked as a Judicial Law Clerk for Justice Dr. A. K. Sikri at the Supreme Court of India. In this position, he assisted in a wide array of matters concerning Constitutional Law, Commercial Law, Privacy Law, and Human Rights, and in notable judgments including legalizing passive Euthanasia and challenging the AADHAR scheme.
Focusing on using law as a tool to empower evidence-based public health practices, Kashish also serves as an International Legal Consultant specializing in Global Health Law. In 2020, he was conferred the ‘Scholar’ title by the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, Washington D.C. His key areas of interest include health emergency preparedness and response, public-private partnerships, information privacy law and data protection, and legal and policy interventions to reduce key non-communicable disease risk factors, including tobacco, alcohol, unhealthy diets, and physical inactivity. Kashish has provided legal technical assistance and advice on projects with the World Health Organization; the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law (Washington D.C.); UNDP, CEPI, the Centre for Reproductive Rights (Washington D.C.); GAVI, the Vaccine Alliance (Geneva); the Public Health Foundation of India (Delhi) and Centre for International Trade and Economic Laws (Delhi).
Kashish is the founder of the Society for Democratic Rights (SDR), a collective of lawyers who are involved in the strengthening of democratic and civil rights through public interest litigation and evidence-driven policymaking. At SDR, he heads the COVID-19 Law Lab collaboration that focuses on gathering and analysizing COVID-19 related laws and policies in the South and South-East Asia region.
Kashish holds a Masters of Law in Global Health Law and International Institutions from Georgetown University and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies. He was awarded the Georgetown University Global Health Law Scholar Award for his masters program. Kashish also holds a Post Graduate Diploma in Medical Law and Ethics (PGDMLE) from National Law School of India University, and a B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) from the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi, India. Kashish has completed training and certificate courses on International Trade Law and Intellectual Property Law from the World Trade Institute, the World Intellectual Property Organization, and the National Institute for Intellectual Property Management (Nagpur, India). He is admitted to the Bar Council of Delhi, and is a member of the Supreme Court Bar Association and the Delhi High Court Bar Association.
- Kashish Aneja (Co-author) “Legal Challenges – Progress in Tobacco Control” in the Report on Tobacco Control in India, 2020, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India and the World Health Organization, India (forthcoming, 2023)
- Kashish Aneja, et. al. “Equity and the Pandemic Instrument: Lessons from the Framework Convention for Tobacco Control”, Health Affairs Forefront, August 16, 2022, https://www.healthaffairs.org/content/forefront/equity-and-pandemic-instrument-lessons-framework-convention-tobacco-control
- Kashish Aneja, et. al. “COVID-19 Law Lab: Building Strong Legal Evidence”, Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, Cambridge University Press, Volume 50, Issue 2, July 27, 2022. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-law-medicine-and-ethics/article/covid19-law-lab-building-strong-legal-evidence/78AFA0B9B5080C1C581512FF731F0420
- Kashish Aneja (Co-author) “Right to Commercial Speech in India: Construing Constitutional Provisions Harmoniously in Favour of Public Health”, Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, Cambridge University Press, Volume 50, Issue 2, July 27, 2022. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-law-medicine-and-ethics/article/right-to-commercial-speech-in-india-construing-constitutional-provisions-harmoniously-in-favor-of-public-health/1923573ABC356AEAF1B3B348EC97045D
- Kashish Aneja (Co-author) “What Nations Owe Each Other Before the Next Pandemic”, Think Global Health, Council on Foreign Relations, July 13, 2022. https://www.thinkglobalhealth.org/article/what-nations-owe-each-other-next-pandemic
- Kashish Aneja (Co-author) “Law, criminalisation and HIV in the world: have countries that criminalise achieved more or less successful pandemic response?”, British Medical Journal (BMJ) Global, August 02, 2021. https://gh.bmj.com/content/6/8/e006315
- Kashish Aneja, Nikhil Pratap, “Protecting the Right to Access Vaccines”, The Indian Express, May 11, 2021.
- Kashish Aneja, Nishtha Arora, “Lessons from One of the World’s Most Successful, Yet Unusual, COVID-19 Vaccine Campaigns“, Expert Column, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, May 05, 2021. https://oneill.law.georgetown.edu/lessons-from-one-of-the-worlds–most-successful-yet-unusual-covid-19-vaccination-campaigns/
- Kashish Aneja, “Strengthening Tobacco Control Laws for an India After COVID-19”, The Wire Science, February 01, 2021. https://science.thewire.in/health/cigarettes-other-tobacco-products-amendment-bill-2020-tobacco-control-packaging-public-health/
- Kashish Aneja, “India Must Have Vaccine Transparency for the World’s Largest Immunization Program to Succeed”, Expert Column, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, January 14, 2021. https://oneill.law.georgetown.edu/india-must-have-vaccine-transparency-for-the-worlds-largest-immunization-program-to-succeed/
- Kashish Aneja, Matthew M. Kavanagh, “What’s Holding Back an Effective AIDS Response in South and Southeast Asia?”, The Wire Science, December 01, 2020. https://science.thewire.in/health/hiv-aids-pandemic-policy-law-science-alignment-recommendations/
- Kashish Aneja, Ravi Mehrotra, “COVID-19: Sounding the Alarm to Revisit National Tobacco Control Measures in India”, Expert Column, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, June 6, 2020. https://oneill.law.georgetown.edu/covid-19-sounding-the-alarm-to-revisit-national-tobacco-control-measure-in-india/
- Monika Arora, Kashish Aneja ,“Online Sale of Liquor Could Dilute India’s Efforts to Contain Spread of Coronavirus”, The Wire, May 1, 2020. https://thewire.in/government/liquor-sale-alcohol-coronavirus and https://movendi.ngo/news/2020/05/06/india-online-alcohol-retail-jeopardizes-covid-19-fight/
- Kashish Aneja, Nikhil Pratap, “Implement Aarogya Setu, but only though law”, The Hindu, April 21, 2020.
- Nikhil Pratap, Kashish Aneja, “1.3 Billion People. One Virus. How Much Privacy?” The Wire, March 20, 2020.
- Juliette Simpson McHardy, Kashish Aneja, Margherita Cinà, and Lawrence Gostin, “Delhi In A Chokehold: Air Pollution As A Public Health Emergency”, Health Affairs, February 5, 2020.
- Kashish Aneja, “’History owes apology to the LGBT community’– Supreme Court of India reads down colonial-era Section 377”. Expert Column, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, September 20, 2018.
- Kashish Aneja, et. al. , Advances in Modern Medicine: Is 3D printing the way ahead?, Ortho Research Online Journal, Crimson Publishers, Vol. 4:1, August, 2018.
- Kashish Aneja, “Montgomery v. Lanarkshire Health Board – Complete Patient Autonomy in the Patient’s Interest ?”, South Asian Law Review Journal, Vol. 3:1, p. 55-59, June 2017.
- Kashish Aneja, “Online Gambling: A Multidimensional Overview of the Current Legal Scenario”, Plebs Journal of Law, Vol. 1:2, 2016.
- Kashish Aneja, “IPRS and PPL: Unfolding the battle over their Legitimacy” International Journal of Legal Development & Allied Issues, Vol. 1:4 p. 42-46, 2016.
- Kashish Aneja, Rohit Rohilla, “Land Acquisition- Present Scenario and What the Future Awaits”, Banthia & Co. Advocates Journal, Vol. 1, p. 35-48, 2015.
- Kashish Aneja, Rohit Rohilla, “Safeguarding Medical Professionals- Challenges and Solutions”, The South Asian Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies, Vol. 2:3, p. 224-234 , 2014
Reports [Institutional Contributions]:
- “National Sovereignty Implications of a Pandemic Instrument”, Foundation for the National Institutes of Health [FNIH] and O’Neill Institue for National and Global Health Law, July 2022
- “Equitable Access Review of CEPI’s COVID-19 Vaccine Development Agreement”, O’Neill Institue for National and Global Health Law, April 2022
- “Leal Tools for Pandemic Preparedness”, Foundation for the National Institutes of Health [FNIH] and O’Neill Institue for National and Global Health Law, November 2021
In the News:
- February 03, 2021
Interviewed live on TRT World on Privacy Violations During COVID-19 Response, February 03, 2020, featuring Kashish Aneja.
- October 30, 2020
“India Sets Up New Commission to Curb Air Pollution in National Capital,” coverage in The Tennessee Tribune, October 30, 2020, featuring Kashish Aneja.
- June 23, 2020
“Shot of Hope: Equal access a hurdle after race to coronavirus vaccine,” coverage in Business Standard, June 23, 2020, featuring Kashish Aneja.
- May 06, 2020
“India: Online Alcohol Retail Jeopardizes COVID-19 Fight,” coverage in Movendi International, May 06, 2020, featuring Kashish Aneja.
- April 27, 2020
“Apps and contact tracing,” coverage in Geo Spatial World, April 27, 2020, featuring Kashish Aneja.
- April 11, 2020
“Coronavirus: PIL in Supreme Court seeking evacuation of Indians from US,” coverage in Deccan Herald, April 22, 2020, featuring Kashish Aneja.
- April 10, 2020
“COVID-19: PIL in SC seeks evacuation of Indian migrant workers stranded in Gulf nations,” coverage in The Tribune, April 10, 2020, featuring Kashish Aneja.
- April 06, 2020
“Coronavirus is Pushing Mass Surveillance in India, and It’s Going to Change Everything,” coverage in Vice, April 06, 2020, featuring Kashish Aneja.
- March 22, 2020
“To fight a pandemic like Covid-19, India needs overarching healthcare laws,” coverage in Business Standard, March 22, 2020, featuring Kashish Aneja.
Panel Discussion Highlights:
What are the legal tools to scale up COVID-19 vaccine productions?
What are the key legal issues with COVID-19 vaccine passports?
Why is there a need for comprehensive legislation for an effective public health response to a pandemic? Does the ongoing pandemic reinforce this need? [April, 2021]
What are the key ingredients that are necessary in a legislation on pandemics? What are the different kinds of legislations that countries rely on? [April, 2021]
How to harness the power of law for controlling the spread of infectious diseases? [June, 2020]